Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Who's number 2?

Fantasy drafts are never won in the first round, but they can definitely be lost. Last year I took Calvin Johnson and made it to the championship. But it wasn't Megatron that got me there, it was the pick up of Alfred Morris after week 2. A few years back I joined my first $100 money league and had the 2nd pick. I took Tom Brady coming off his record setting super bowl runner up year where he threw 62 touchdown passes (rounded up) to Randy Moss. He played less than 1 quarter that year and I didn't make the playoffs.


So this year it's obvious that Adrian Peterson is going to be the 1st pick off the board in 108% of leagues this year. The real question is, who's number 2? Is it Arian Foster? Doug Martin? Marshawn Lynch? CJ Spiller? Jamaal Charles? Trent Richardson?


I lean towards Doug Martin but honestly I don't think any of these players are going to win you the league like stud dick Adrian Peterson can. I do, however, think that they all have a chance to lose you the league this year.



Arian Foster









OK so the Texans have an amazing run game, but just like all backs Foster has started experiencing some wear and tear. He's having back pain and it's causing some leg stiffness and I don't like that. Towards the end of last season they had to go with back ups when they needed him. Losing your #2 pick because of injury can lose you the season. Buyer be ware. At least draft Ben Tate in the 7th round if you take Foster. That just means in round 7 you don't get a starting WR, TE, or QB that will get you points every week.





Doug Martin









I had no idea the muscle hampster was one of the top 5 ugliest players in all pro sports. I mean this guy falls right behind Sam Cassell and Popeye Jones. How do you even see the holes when you don't have eyeballs? Martin got pulled last preseason game because he took a blow to the head. I like Martin and wouldn't hate having him on my team but I'm a little nervous about him having a sophomore slump. He's the only mouth in town to feed though so that counts for something.





Marshawn Lynch









If you know me you know I'm a huge fan of barstool sports and if you know barstool sports then you know skittles are the number one performance enhancing drug on the market. Just crazy good for young athletes wanting to be the best. I'm a little nervous about rumors he may face suspension for a DUI and that he's failed drug tests for Marijuana. I'm also concerned about a back that runs so hard like he does. Pretty much uses his face as a battering ram. Not a lot of receivers in his neck of the woods so I'm thinking it's going to be a ground and pound type of season. The Seahawks have a touted defense and if they get an early lead they're going to be playing clock control football. And there is no doubt this man gets almost all the goal line carries you can ask for. My concern is how's he going to fair with 13 guys in the box?





CJ Spiller









This might be the fastest guy in the NFL. But can you take the bills RB number 2 overall??? I hear good things about this new Bills offense and that they are going to be playing a high pace type of O and Spiller will get the ball through the air as well. That bodes well as a fantasy back, but I have such a hard time going by just stats when doing fantasy. Like I know that's what the name of the game is but the Buffalo Bills? Cmon right? Sometimes I wonder if they will even score a point in some games. Granted they play in a division that matches them up against the lowly Jets and Dolphins twice a year and they play in the cold which means they will run the ball. But CJ Spiller number 2? He's so small and this is the NFL. And did I mention he plays for the Buffalo Bills?





Jamaal Charles









If you're worried about the health of Arian Foster than you have to worry about Jamaal Charles. It sucks because I think Charles can rack up points this year, but there's also a chance he misses substantial time. Andy Reid is going to get this guy the ball and he's going to score points but he's got a foot injury. That's no bueno. A foot injury isn't something that just goes away. I should know. I've been limping around with a bad ankle for 9 months now, otherwise I might have to put myself on this list. Charles also faces the same issues as Spiller. Chiefs are beyond terrible. Alex Smith isn't the answer. Something tells me they will be playing from behind and that means trying to throw the ball. I'm sure Charles will bust a few long runs throughout the year, but I feel it's a huge gamble with the number 2 overall pick.






Trent Richardson










I love some Trent Richardson, but not at #2. If I could get him with the 10th pick I'm excited all day. He's right behind Marshawn Lynch for me. This guy is always banged up too, though. And he plays for the Browns, even though they've looked good in the preseason. Last year T-Rich was game time decision quite a lot and it made it hard for fantasy owners to count on him week in and week out. That's what you are looking for in the #2 pick. He will face stacked boxes every game. He's going to get his and he's going to get goal line touches but he's also going to have a bad shoulder, knee, back, rib, whatever you want to list. His arms may be just too damn big to properly hold a football. Like how many times a game do you think the ref has to put more air in the ball?






So if I had the number 2 pick who do I take? Well when I plug all this shit into a cost/risk analysis based on a bunch of stuff I made up off the top of my head I don't think I'm going to take any of these guys. All the fantasy "experts" sing the song that you're an idiot if you don't take a RB in the first round. I disagree. I want the guy that's for sure going to get me a shit ton of points and let me sleep easy at night.




Give me Drew Brees. I dare you not to make the playoffs with Mr. Birthmark. You can always go RB, RB in rounds 2 and 3 and end up with someone like Demarco Murray and Eddie Lacy. I'm fine with that. Every year there are at least 1 or 2 undrafted RBs that help a team tremendously. Give me Brees or give me death.





1 comment :