Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Brandon Allen please don't suck



I've spoken to a lot of people who are nervous about Brandon Allen being our starting quarterback. I must admit, to start the Bielema Era I wanted Brandon Mitchell to be our guy, as I'm sure a lot of people did. To me it just made sense to make him the our signal caller since he had the ability to make something out of nothing when a play broke down. He was arguably our best physical athlete on the team. He played WR, QB, and dunked all over people when it was time to lace up the tenny pumps. But he's gone now and whether we like it or not, Brandon Allen is the lead hog.

Just like I do every year, I seem to have drank the kool-aid. Red flavored. Made from hog blood. And I hate how much I love it.

I encourage Brandon Allen doubters to please forget about last year. Our coaching staff last year didn't do him any favors. They pretty much made every single player on our team dramatically worse for just having known them. At no point during the season was Brandon Allen set up to succeed. It was like Paul Petrino was teaching him calculus by using only brail. I'm not so sure there were many quarterbacks in the whole country that could've came in and right'd our sinking ship last year. There was no hope.

This year we have hope. This year Brandon Allen has had the opportunity to work with the 1st team every practice. He's been able to establish his huddle and make relationships with his receivers. This year we are going to run the ball to set up the pass where last year we had no choice but to play from behind and throw the ball. It's a lot harder to throw the ball when everyone in the stadium knows that's what you are about to do.

Coach B has stated that Brandon Allen has been the most improved player on the team since his tenure has started. And even though there are other reasons I choose to believe in Allen, like having a better OC, Offensive line, run game, and more practice- I really just trust Coach B. Like when he came in and started changing stuff I just trust him. When he let McKay go to Cincy and BMitch go to NC St, I trusted he was doing the right thing.

I just don't want people to forget how excited we were when Brandon Allen signed with us. He was a 4star recruit that was the #5 pro style quarterback coming out of high school. I went back and watched his high school film and it reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. I'm not saying he's going to win the Hesiman or anything. Well, not this year at least.


No comments :

Post a Comment